Wednesday, January 6, 2010

My Turn!

Hey everyone! My name is Maggie and you can see my regular postings at From the Heart, found here: http://www.eafromtheheart.blogspot.com/.

Let's see...I'm 25 years old. I married my soul mate this past April. We live in a tiny, TINY town that barely resembles civilization, right on the banks of the Missouri River. Our pride and joy is our beagle doggie Chandler (named after Chandler Bing of the TV show "Friends".) We have one baby in heaven, our little Gus, and hope to start having more babies soon.

After high school I went to college for a theater degree. I lasted there for about a month. Then I worked for awhile and soon went back to another school for a whole semester for my education degree. I was a bit of a wild child during these years and my faith took a backseat in my life. (OK...maybe it was in the trunk...or left on the side of the road.) I am a cradle Catholic, but never got into the faith until about five years ago. The whole long, complicated story can be found on my blog!

The third time was the charm and I graduated from Benedictine College with a degree in Theology. I'm learning the hard way that this major doesn't produce a lot of job prospects! I am currently unemployed, and am hoping something comes along soon!

In regards to feminism, I've never given it much thought. I've found it complicated and messed up in today's culture. I would gravitate towards a book on apologetics, like "How to Win in Hand-to-Hand Combat with an Atheist" rather than a book on the dignity of womanhood. However, after taking a senior seminar class on the Theology of the Body I've really given the whole woman and man as one thing a second thought. That's why I am so glad to take part in this book club. I want to get other women's thoughts about this topic! I could go on and on...but that's what this book club is for!

I look forward to getting this started! :-)

6 comments:

  1. Oh, Benedictine. I know a few people that either go or went there. It seems like more and more all the time!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So nice to 'meet' you! My sympathies on your son, Gus...prayers for a baby here on earth soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am unemployed with a degree in religion, so I feel a bit of your pain. Heres to 2010 being full of jobs and babies for the ladies who blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HIMaggie!!! I have heard many younger women (including myself at one point) voice the same about "I've never really given it much thought." I think that's ok. IN a way, that is part of the success of the Feminist m ovement I think...that women now don't have to worry as much about whether they can find meaningful work or whether they will be barred from academia...that is definitely a positive!

    ReplyDelete
  5. CM- when I first applied to BC people kept telling me that wherever I would go I would either meet someone who graduated from there or would meet someone who knew someone who goes/went there. So very true!!!

    Rebecca- great to "meet" you too! I can't wait to get to know you ladies!

    Rae- AMEN SISTA!!!

    Michelle- I think another part of me never really thinking about it was because I always thought of feminists as a little too extreme, and I never encountered any women like that. A couple years ago I came across the website Feminists For Life and realized that I had been very narrow-minded on the matter. But I should probably save this stuff for when we start diving into the book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, great point Michelle. And ditto to Rae!

    Maggie, I'm so jealous that you studied theology and got to take a whole class on TOB! I'm just now trying to dive into it myself, and often feel I'm nowhere near as knowledgeable as people who were wise enough to study it as students. Christopher West's gigantic TOB with commentary is sitting on my bookshelf - I really want to start it, but without a professor giving me deadlines, I'm afraid it'll take a while!

    ReplyDelete