Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Little thoughts

A few little things struck me as I was reading this, but after enjoying the other three great posts on this, I didn't think any of my thoughts deserved a full post! So I just thought I'd throw the following out there, and ask if any of you also picked up on these, or on any other little bits?

"Women who still see marriage and children as central to their sense of themselves have retreated from feminism because they do not believe that feminists care about the problems that most concern them or because they believe that feminists favor policies they cannot support, such as abortion, affirmative action, or women in combat." (page 17, emphasis mine)
I totally didn't realize affirmative action was seen as a feminist concern - I only thought of it as applying to racial minorities. Duh. Also, I have to say that I've never really thought much about women in combat. (I could possibly be swayed into feeling stronger one way or the other if I heard a really good argument.) Isn't it interesting how these major concerns have for the most part been dealt with and we don't even think of them?

"Her father, who came out of the WASP elite... has nothing but admiration for her ambition and determination." (page 19)
I know we mentioned mothers' influences earlier, but it's also interesting to see how fathers have influenced and responded to their daughters' feminist lifestyles! I kind of hope she approaches this stuff later in a more thorough fashion.

"[Feminist indifference] permits them to argue, however unrealistically, that poor women should begin by respecting marriage and postponing children until they have a husband. They do not believe that poor women need or want the things that feminists advocate for them, and they fear that feminists are encouraging poor women to behave irresponsibly." (page 28)
This struck me because I have thought this. I'm not really sure that I have anything succinct to say about this, but was hoping someone else might be able to explain to me the details of why it's wrong?

2 comments:

  1. I still really don't know about women in combat. I think that part of the problem with setting a general rule is that there is not just one type of combat and that wars are being fought differently due to new technology. On the one hand, I am not so fond of the idea of women being taken as prisoners and treated in especially negative ways that men would escape, but on the other hand I do not think that it is right for women to say, be subjected to a greater danger of death as test pilots, but then not allowed to fly in combat where they can receive higher pay, promotions etc.

    Maybe someone with more knowledge of the military will chime in here? ::hint hint::

    I noticed the mention of the father as well and agree with you that it will be great if the roles of fathers (and male family members in general!) is talked about more later in the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I very much related to the paragraph you highlighted - it seems as if that summed up why I have shied away from calling myself a feminist. That said, I have an advanced degree and work outside the home so my actions could possibly be called feminist.

    I too had never much thought about women in combat - and agree with Rae, would love to hear a good pro/con debate on the issue.

    ReplyDelete