Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Introductions!

Since Molly paved the way so nicely, I'll go next!

I'm Sarah.
My blog is: http://fumblingtowardgrace.wordpres.com

I'm about to turn 26, and I live in Indianapolis with my husband and our shaggy black dog, Sirius. We have a baby in heaven (Michael John), and are working on having one on this earth too!

I just finished my MA in Social Justice, and am looking for work/trying to figure out what to do with my life.

I'm a cradle Catholic, went to Catholic college and grad school. I became really interested and active in my faith over the past three years or so. My husband is a convert to the Church, and we love being part of the 1 billion or so Catholics worldwide!

I was first excited to read this book after I read an essay by the author in an anthology for my thesis.

I consider myself a feminist in the strain of Mary Wallstonecraft and those who worked for women's suffrage. I am a pro-life feminist. I believe in a feminism that recognizes the fact that every human person is interdependent with every other human person, and that includes, men, other women, and children. I believe in a feminism that seeks to strengthen and make more just all human relationships, not one which seeks to "liberate" women by destroying relationships through false independence.

I'm excited to read this book because I'm eager to see how she develops her claims, and ideas for how we can make the main ideals of feminism more attractive to the average woman.

I'm also super-excited to get to chat with some wonderful, smart women through this club!

5 comments:

  1. Yay Wollstonecraft! _A Vindication of the Rights of Woman_ was the first feminist book I read in my teens & I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! My brother lives in Indianapolis! I've been there a couple of times, but not recently. I've never read this author, but I'm intrigued by the book. I can't wait to get started!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI Sarah! Thank you so much for organizing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of using feminism to SUPPORT the idea that we're all interdependent instead of purely independent creatures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, your introduction of your feminist feelings is so impressive!

    If the topic of the essay isn't covered in this book, you'll have to share it with us!

    ReplyDelete