Wednesday, January 6, 2010

I'll Start!

Name: Molly
Website: http://justsimplymolly.wordpress.com
The Basics:
  • Just about to the mid-late 20's
  • Married - no kids... but we're working on it
  • Methodist raised, married to a Catholic - still deciding
  • Working woman in the theatre... it's not glamorous I just do a lot of laundry and keep tempers in check and occasionally fetch snacks... I think this actually good training for having kids.
  • I have a dry, sarcastic sense of humor and a tendency to play devil's-advocate so I apologize in advance.
  • Because of the books subject matter I'll go out on a limb and say - I do consider myself a basic (perhaps Traditional?) feminist in the original sense of the movement - opportunity for work, education and proper medical care; basic civil and legal rights and protection, etc., but not in the extreme "waves" of the movement. I believe that men and women were created to be, essentially, two halves of a whole; each with their own strengths and weakness, neither of which makes one better or worse than the other and that neither men or women can "have it all".
  • I'm look forward to reading this because its not a book I would normally think to read on my own and am interested to see if I end up liking what the author says by the end, because of my views stated above it could really swing either way.
  • But no matter what I look forward to challenging myself and having an opportunity to have good, rational conversations over the topics this books brings up.

10 comments:

  1. Yay! Thanks for starting. :)

    I didn't know you worked in theatre; do you have a desire to act, or prefer the behind the scenes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. At first glance I misread "rational" as "relational." What does that say about me as a woman? ;-)

    And I imagine that working with theatre types could be more challenging than being a mother at times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm very excited that you like to play devil's advocate! I love hearing all views on things, whether I agree or disagree. Actually, I'm often more interested in those I disagree with. Watch, now we'll be in perfect agreement about everything the book says! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I believe that men and women were created to be, essentially, two halves of a whole; each with their own strengths and weakness, neither of which makes one better or worse than the other and that neither men or women can "have it all"." -- Well stated! I feel the same way.

    Looking forward to book clubbing with you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So great to 'meet' you! I agree that feminism has gone to an extreme; I too agree with the foundations of feminism.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very excited to meet you. I enjoyed the way you explained your view on feminism.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks everyone - I was a little hesitant about starting out with the feminist viewpoints immediately, but I think it's turned out to be a great way to initially see all the viewpoints we'll have while reading this book!

    FTGrace - I'm totally a backstage girl, I "Run Wardrobe" i.e. I do a lot of laundry and handle clothing that costs more than my life! If anyones on the West Coast and wants to see some Tony-Award winning performances at one of oldest regional theatres in the country, I've got the hook up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I went to a United Methodist campus ministry all during college! And I too am totally looking forward to having good rational conversations :)

    Also, I loved that you put out the "two halves of a whole" point. It was interesting, I read something else that was talking about male/female complementarity (which it's looking like many of us subscribe to), and it was saying there are two ways to basically look at this. One is, like you said, man and woman are two halves that create a whole. The other is that man and woman are both complete in and of themselves, but when they combine they become more than the sum of their parts. Mathematically, it's like 1 + 1 > 3. (I think that's how it was - I don't have the book with me.) Anyway, that was an interesting approach I hadn't heard before.

    I'm so glad you're joining us, Molly!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for starting!!

    I also saw this book as something I wouldn't ordinarily read, and that means...I might expand my perspective...with, of course, some rational thoughts from all of you. :)

    ReplyDelete