Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Another Maggie!

I'm Maggie P.; a blogless but nonetheless very excited new member of the club.

I am 24 years old, grew up in Idaho, and moved to Pennsylvania for college. After graduation I ended up in the Washington, DC metro area. I work in the city at a law firm, and dream of the day that I can be a homemaker, homeschooler, wife, and mother.

My mom is from a huge Catholic family (she is one of 15 kids!), and I grew up inspired by their love and sense of family. I personally am one of 7 kids, and was homeschooled together with them for much of my young life. While my family has always been the single most important factor in my life, the Church, although present, was always sort of tangential for me. I was given a choice to be confirmed or not, and opted out of it; even at 16, I knew it was a "big deal" and didn't want to make the commitment lightly.

It was in my last semester of college that I was encouraged by a dear (and very Catholic friend) to attend an NFP seminar. Having already determined that I wanted to be the mother of a large family, the practice inspired and fascinated me. It was my first introduction to the Church as a current, wise Mother. I thought "if they have such wonderful philosophys about this, what else can I find out?" Fast-forward 3 years, and I am finally in the process of being confirmed. I have a wonderful parish, a great RCIA class, and a supportive boyfriend from a great Catholic family by my side. All the beauty that I saw my whole life in my mother's Catholic family has been revealed to me even more. I love the Church like never before; yet I'm having a difficult time finding young adults who are as excited about it and engaged as I am. So imagine my excitement when I found this book club!

As for feminism, I grew up admiring Susan B. Anthony, Elizabeth Stanton, and the original mothers who fought for the right to vote. It wasn't until college that I became aware of a different "sect" of more radical feminists. Before knowing much about it, I remember telling my college friends that "feminazis" weren't the only ones out there. My feminism was about choosing to be any kind of woman you wanted, which for me always equated to raising children and having a home. I love and celebrate being a woman and everything that comes with it--fertility; gentle grace; love. In my love for NFP, I discovered New Feminism and have truly embraced it.

I'm looking forward to the progression of our discussions, and reading this great book!

12 comments:

  1. What a great story! I loved my group of pro-life feminist friends in college. Did you happen to go to a Catholic university?

    I am sorry to hear that you're having a hard time finding passionate young Catholics in your area. I don't know exactly where you are, but I have heard for years of NOVA as a Mecca er... Rome of involved young Catholics. It is somewhat disappointing to think that it is tough to find them anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Maggie! Glad you joined! I've never been to DC, but I have some friends who have lived out there, and I think that there's a pretty good Catholic community out there from what they've told me. If you're interested, I can get in touch with one of my friends that still lives there and see if she has any way to get connected. Welcome to the book club!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi guys! I live in Arlington, and perhaps I haven't been looking in the right places, so I would love some nudges in the right direction on finding like-minded Catholic friends!

    Rae: I didn't go to a Catholic school, although I applied to a lot of them. Dickinson College was where I ended up--it just seemed the right fit. I also considered Loyola Maryland and St. Mary's in Cali., as well as Gonzaga, which is (too) close to my hometown in Idaho.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "My feminism was about choosing to be any kind of woman you wanted" - I think that is a fairly succinct way of approaching this! I like it because it doesn't say a woman has to live a certain way or she's not feminine; it recognizes there are many ways to live out our vocation as women. I'm glad you're joining us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for joining Maggie! I actually went to college in MD (Mount St. Mary's) and know quite a few Catholic young adults in the area. Let me know if you want me to hook you up with any of them!

    I'm so glad you found the book club. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sarah - I would love to be hooked up with some young Catholics! I'm all about getting as much out of my faith as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Maggie! I have a friend who lives in Arlington who is a passionate Catholic and I know she has been to some young Catholic social events. I can get some info for you if you'd like!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I forgot to say- Maggie May is one of my nicknames too! And Maggie Moo...Maggs...etc!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Maggie! I loved reading your story. Sounds like some of the ladies here can help you find some CAtholics in your area! I have actually heard good things about the diocese of ARlington...hope it works out for you! And I am so glad you're part of the book club!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Maggie--I would love some good Catholic social event info! Maggie Moo is what the kids I babysit call me...and do you contstantly get renditions of Rod Stewart and Bob Dylan's "Maggie's Farm"??

    Michelle--so glad to meet you! I'm thrilled to be part of the book club.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rod Stewart, yes. I don't think I've heard Bob Dylan's song! I do have an old record with the title "When You and I Were Young, Maggie." I'll email that info to you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey- I have some contact info for you for my friend out there. Email me and I'll get that to you. catholicmutt (at) gmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete