Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Hey Everybody!

I'm Monica (aka CM) and I blog at catholicmutt.blogspot.com. I turn the big 3-0 later this year, and I am a physical therapist. I live in the Midwest, and I'm tired of snow and below zero temperatures and bad roads and salt on the car.

I am a cradle Catholic, and am in love with the faith of my birth. I am also beyond grateful to all of the non-Catholic family and friend influences in my life. It has made my faith so much richer than it ever could have been otherwise. I had a Catholic education in middle and high school, but went to very liberal schools for college and grad school.

Hmm, what else?

I guess in regards to the book, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my copy gets here before too late. I did some thinking about how excited I was to read the book, but neglected to think about how I needed to order it so I would be able to read it. Did I mention that I'm a blonde? It's on the way now (I hope!)

I grew up kind of against the hard core feminism that I associate with the word "feminism". I have always hated how "equal" had to mean "the same as men". Then again, I think there were some very positive things brought about by feminism, and I'm very grateful for all the educational and job opportunities that were available to me as I went through school. I think those things were very good things to come out of the feminist movement. I also think there is something very beautiful about motherhood, and I want to see a feminism that doesn't lose sight of that. I don't think that women should be judged as second-rate mothers if they work, nor do I want to see stay-at-home moms be judged as "wasting" their lives. And those are some of my thoughts with no particular organization or thought behind it, so I should probably stop before it gets out of hand.

I'm really looking forward to getting to read this book with everyone. Thanks to Sarah and Elizabeth for all their work getting things organized!


8 comments:

  1. I didn't realize that I had a picture of you in my mind until I read that you were blonde and thought "no way!" And in terms of stereotypes, you always come across as very thoughtful.

    I second your thanks to Sarah and Elizabeth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha ha, monica...I am trying to get my hands on a copy! Library does NOT have it and I really can't afford to buy. I plan to check some of my friends to see if anyone has a copy. HOpe I can get it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your lines about motherhood - ditto! I remember the day I realized that; that some how over the last few decades women (and men too!) have been increasingly defined by their earning potentials and "career" achievements than by what they can do, foster and nurture. When did wanting a good, simple life become a bad thing?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also hate how some people think women being equal means the same as men. I think that takes away from the beauty of womanhood!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Monica, I liked what you wrote about feminism, and feeling somewhat conflicted. Many of the gains of feminism help the women of our generation, yet so many of the underlying ideals (independence from, rather than interdependence with - men) weaken its impact.

    So excited to read!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Michelle- did you try interlibrary loan?

    ReplyDelete
  7. If the library doesn't work out for you (which it didn't for me), I got a copy for $0.88 plus $3.99 shipping on Amazon and didn't think that was too unreasonable.

    Glad to meet you, Michelle!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rae's comment is funny, because until I read that I didn't realize that I also thought of you as dark-haired! And not named Monica :) And definitely not ditzy! You always strike me as thinking things out very well, and I am pumped you're joining us!

    Michelle - Let me know if neither Monica or Kay's suggestions work out by Monday - I might be able to work a little magic :)

    ReplyDelete