Sunday, February 21, 2010

Sexual Revolution

This chapter solidified my position on Feminism.  I have felt from as early as my teens that contraception and abortion were the reasons I couldn't call myself a Feminist, even though I believe in equal pay for equal work, and equal opportunities for women in academia, work, etc.  I find myself saddened by the fact that I don't want to identify with something that could have been (and was at one point in time) a good for society.


I believe that even though an action is commonplace does not then make it a good action.

Just because women were quietly/secretly having premarital sex even before the Sexual Revolution, does not mean it was good.

And just because it is now accepted and even expected that women engage openly in premarital sex after the Sexual Revolution, it does not mean it is good.

Encouraging the behavior by normalizing the behavior seems to only have added more heartache than not.  We have a society filled with girls who have no self-esteem, who believe their worth to a male companion is measured in her willingness to put out.  What is really sad is that many girls have been taught to believe that they ARE confident and they DO have self-esteem BECAUSE they engage in sex outside of marriage.

Instead of building up our boys and girls to respect themselves enough to live a chaste life, we do not expect this of them.  Instead our teachers, parents, doctors...hand them condoms or birth control pills (things that fail over and over) and say under their breath, "Well, kid...just don't get (her) pregnant"  And this literally validates this expectation that they will or even should engage in sexual behavior before marriage.

It's a vicious cycle we have created for ourselves.  It's unfortunate.  I pray like crazy every single day that my husband and I will be able to impress upon our children their worth, their prized possession of their chastity...that they will believe they are worth waiting for.  And yes...I know we are fighting an uphill battle.  But I believe it is possible.  I have seen it.  I am encouraged by the families that we know in our prayer circles who are having success in this matter.  They are absolutely counter-cultural in the ways they lead their children through courtship...but it is beautiful the results they have seen.

One word about Abstinence education because surely someone will come along and remind me how "unrealistic" I am on it.  I believe Abstinence Education, as it stands, does not work because the adults teaching it are not credible.  Kids are very perceptive (especially at the age when sex education is taught in most schools) and they can tell that the people telling them to remain abstinent don't believe that they can do it.  And since that underlying message is there...they do not believe they can do it either.

3 comments:

  1. Good post. Your last point in particular is interesting, that kids only believe it if the abstinence instructors themselves believe it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great post Michelle! I'm in agreement with the last point you made (and everything else too!). :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also think that abstinence education doesn't work well because we focus too much on "don't do it" and not enough on how waiting for marriage actually sets us up for the real and lasting love that we all long for.

    ReplyDelete