Monday, February 22, 2010

Food for Thought -- Carrie Bradshaw

I recently found the blog of Leah Darrow. She was a contestant on America's Next Top Model, and recent re-vert to the Catholic Church. She has a blog called Exposed. I would highly recommend checking it out.

The following article is called: "Carrie Bradshaw: A Relic of Feminism" and I thought it was apt for the subject matter of our little blog, so here's a snippet...

I am a 30 year old woman, single, living in the city, working a full time job, involved with volunteer work, social, outgoing, independent, big fan of mascara and lip gloss, frequently seen running through an airport to catch my flight for a girls weekend away in Mexico and have a committed relationship with all that encompasses “fashion” --- oh, and by the way, did I mention I am a faithful Catholic??
At first glance, it more sounds like a character description of Carrie Bradshaw from none other than Sex and the City but adding the catholic disclaimer is like adding a moral compass to Carrie Bradshaw – and no, this is not a necklace, broach or belt.

and

The space between Carrie Bradshaw and the Church Lady is the New Feminism role that all Christian women are being called to. This is not a theory or an ideology to remain in print and left on a shelf, but this calling is a lifestyle - one that can change the hearts and minds of men, women and children.

Go here to read the rest. She even mentions Helen Alvare, my new hero(ine).

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the link! I think she really hits the nail on the head when she says how selfish "old feminism" was/is.
    Also, I can't wait to read the article she cites by Alvare!

    ReplyDelete