Monday, February 22, 2010

Feminism in Economics

I thought I would try to get on the ball here and actually try to read the book on time for a change. I still find the book kind of hard to read, and I have a difficult time understanding just what EFG is arguing for. Or is she not arguing for anything and is just laying down the history of feminism as she sees it? I'm still a little lost on that point.

I may not have enjoyed reading this chapter that much, but I think that the topic is a really important one to discuss. One of the things that I thought that was interesting in the general tone of the chapter was the general idea of how men and women were doing competitively in the job market. There was almost an idea of who's beating who and by how much, and is the gap closing even further. There's also the idea of women needing to work so they can be free of their dependence on men.

That stuff right there is all of the stuff that I don't particularly like about feminism. This idea that we are pitted against men, or at the very least that we have to be able to be free from them is sort of crazy to me. To me, we are in this together as a human race. I don't like women trying be free from men as in this chapter, or from children as in the previous chapter. I think that seriously takes away from what it means to be a woman.

On the other hand, I very much appreciate the advances that have been made allowing women to have more access to the work force. As a single woman, I'm glad that I can support myself and that I was not limited to choices as a secretary, a nurse or a teacher. As much as I hate the fact that it's necessary, I also appreciate that married women have more options open to them for work as well. I think that there are times that a second income is not as necessary as we make it out to be, but there are definitely times that it is absolutely needed as well.

I guess from the standpoint of someone who leans more towards the idea of a "New Feminism" (though I admit to not fully understanding all that entails either), I think that figuring out the role of women in the workplace and how to balance that with family life is one that falls to us. I think that it is already happening in a lot of places that women are working less so that they can be home with their children more. Not just as SAHM's, but also as people working part time or shorter hours. I don't think that there is any one answer to how much a woman should work, because it's going to vary a lot depending on every family's need. Personally, I can't say much about the balance, since I sort of focus on my job as a default. What are everyone's thoughts about how we can try to be women working and balancing family at the same time?

4 comments:

  1. I also think the economic aspect is important, as it's one thing that many women who might oppose the sexual revolution still support.

    I was also wondering about the necessity of a second income. I know that it really is necessary in many cases, but I wonder how often the story she discusses on pgs 126-127 occur? Where a woman works long hard hours, but the overall addition to the income is negligible? Does anyone know if this is still the case, or it's gone out the window? As in the 1970s, is a wife's income still just adding 5% once you take out expenditures? And out of curiosity, how much is daycare these days, anyway?

    As for the work/family balance, while we don't have children yet, I plan to stay home with them when we do. I absolutely didn't want to a few years ago, and now I can't wait to, and am so thankful that this is something my husband has always planned for. For a while I also struggled with the "what's the point of getting an advanced degree if you're never gonna use it?!" but it really doesn't bother me now. Hm, I think that may get into the identity thing... do you mind if I open that up as another post?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to recommend "The Two Income Trap: Why Middle Class Mothers and Fathers Are Going Broke."

    I am completely breaking my blog fast...but I read CM's post (in draft form) Sunday night and was thinking about it...and I definitely recommend this book.

    Some time I will go into the ins and outs of the book...but I completely think it is a must-read to help explain why two incomes have become a necessity when that might not have always been the case.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Michelle, thanks for the recommendation. The book looks really interesting (and a little depressing), and for only $5.60 on Amazon I think I'll have to add it to my cart the next time I buy a book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elizabeth- I do hope you get into the identity thing. I would love to see a post on that! I also think the advanced degree and staying home is another interesting idea. I have a clinical doctorate in my field and I absolutely love what I do. Still, if I were married with kids, I would love to stay home with them.

    Michelle- I hope to read that book sometime. I was actually really disappointed as I wrote this that you were on an internet fast, because I was particularly interested in your thoughts on this topic.

    ReplyDelete