Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Man-Bashing

In the comments on my last post Elizabeth asked whether anyone else had noticed the man-bashing. Given the level of discussion, I suspect that many of us are not finding the book worth reading. So here is the short version from pages 155-157 for those who would like to chime in.

Black or white, married women agree that, more than occasionally, the men they most love are, well, just plain impossible. More than once, out of the blue, a woman has said to me, "You know, the trouble with men is that they always want to be with you." And it matters not at all that she is echoing an oft-heard complaint that men file against women.
[cut]
But then, I would have trouble thinking of a woman I know, of any age, class, color, or ethnicity, who has a family and does not consider time alone in her own house a luxury. An old friend of my mother blurted out that her dream was to be alone, pull the shades, strip off her clothes, and eat a pint of ice cream without interruption. Michale, like many other husbands, wants companionship and attention at home--just to have Martha sit next to him to watch the news or something like that. "He really needs that." His desire for her company makes it difficult for her to just shut herself "in the other room and do schoolwork."
Martha recently confessed that one of her pet peeves was Michael's tendency to interrupt without apparent thought to what she might be doing: "It just kills me. I'm busy in the kitchen and he'll see something on television and he'll say, 'Hey, Martha, come here,' as if I'm not doing anything." But if the tables are turned, if he has work to do, "then you've got to leave him alone. You can't go near him." And I have yet to meet a woman of any race at any level of income or education who does not agree. Men just never seem to understand that women need privacy as much as they do.
For as long as anyone can remember, women have had their lists of the ways in which men who claim to be serious adults behave like thoughtless boys. Martha Miller thinks her husband even shops like a boy.
[cut]
Countless women in all income brackets, like their grandmothers and mothers before them, patiently and impatiently share complaints about men's incorrigible thoughtlessness: Men talk through women's silences as if women had no private thoughts; men never assume their full share of domestic responsibilities; men flip the television channel in the middle of something you are watching. But like the many other women who complain knowingly of men's predictable failings, we could not wait to get home, and, to many people's amazement, each of us expected to have dinner waiting for us on the table.
What do you think?

5 comments:

  1. Thanks Rae for sharing that. Yup, that's what I was referring to. As I said, it's not like it's really bad man-bashing; there's no "all men are rapists at heart" or any of that extreme radical feminist rhetoric. But I'm always disappointed when we have to start complaining about men.

    Maybe I'm just too positive, but I try really hard not to complain about my husband. He is my best friend, after all, and my loyalty lies with him. Sure, there are things that I might want him to do differently, but on the whole he's great!

    And if I were to go on about the things I take a different approach to, they wouldn't be the ones she listed. Too clingy and can't give the spouse privacy? That's me to a tee. Luckily, I know this and try to respect his need for alone time; he also knows me and my need for together time, so we work to balance both. (This is something that I imagine could change once there are little ones running around the house, but I'm pretty much alone all day long now.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't gotten to that point yet, but yes, it is frustrating that nearly any book on any aspect of feminism will engage in some kind of male-bashing. I mean, I think we all *know* that many men do stupid things often. I'd even be willing to bet that many women do stupid things often. Just pointing that out to people isn't particularly helpful.

    That's one of the things I love about new feminism/feminine genius. It seems to build bridges between men and women, realizing that we're all in this together. It's much healthier for society and for families.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Sarah! I really think that this sort of disrespectful thought/attitude have led to some really disturbing things. Like why is the male on a sitcom ALWAYS portrayed as such a bumbling idiot? Is this really the way that we see men? I have been around many men that are so worthy of my respect that I am always saddened to have them be seen in such a light. Not that they're perfect, but neither am I.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow... thank you Mrs. EFG for pointing out that....::drum-roll::... Men and Women are different and can get on each others nerves!... wow...

    As for that last statement about "predictable failings", um, EFG every human being has "predictable failings". I'm surprised that men want to come home to their wives who are taught it's acceptable to nag them about every little fault while expecting to be put on a pedestal.

    To loosely quote Winona Rider as Jo March in "Little Women" Women don't deserve respect, etc. because they are angels and men are devils, but because they are human beings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that the men bashing is so hurtful. Not only to our husbands and marriages if we choose to share, but to the gender as a whole. I am sure there are things about my hubby that I would like to be different, and I imagine it would be the same on his side. We are a team though, and a good team is not made up of exact replicas.

    This men bashing of sorts has been a turn off for feminism for me and it's so nice to hear other women feel that the bashing is as un needed as I do. Thanks girls!!

    ReplyDelete