Monday, March 15, 2010

Having it all

I confess, I had a busy weekend and haven't read the next chapter yet. But I just read two articles by Kate Wicker about feminism that I thought might be more interesting to us than the book right now.

I Am Woman was her original article, and she followed that up with a blog post Some Further Thoughts on Feminism, Motherhood, and Having It All.

My favorite quote from the first article was the following:
When we "liberate" women from the "menial" tasks of motherhood, when we suggest a woman loses her life and her identity if she stays home with the kids all day, when we say that women must be fiercer in the workplace or become more "rational" and physically and emotionally "stronger" like their male counterparts, what we're really saying is that men and the male role in society is superior to our own, and we must do everything in our power to become more like them.

Check 'em out and come back with comments!

3 comments:

  1. I just looked at this and thought of posting it! Great minds, I guess. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not very caught up on the book, either. Good articles, though. It is a strange place that we're in right now. I love my career and how feminism has made that possible. Still, I thought the author of the first article made a great point that we are told that we can be so much "more" without taking into account that there are only so many hours in the day, implying that prioritizing will have to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could hug Kate Wicker. Seriously, I was in an obviously combative mood when I read her first article and she responded with pure grace. I think that our families would be well off if all of us could have her balance.

    ReplyDelete